Smith Equipment Manufacturing was founded by Elmer Smith in 1916 as “Smith Inventions”. Located in a garage in Minneapolis, Minnesota, it began as a small design and manufacturing operation, building a line of oxy-fuel welding and cutting equipment. In the 1950s, the business was expanded to supply, high pressure and specialty gas regulators for laboratories and aerospace applications. Smith is now owned by Miller Electric Mfg. Co.